There are four types of exercises: flexibility, strength, endurance, and balance. All four exercises make up a good workout routine that can keep your body healthy and fit. Despite the above-mentioned exercises, balance is important as it is connected with most of your daily activities such as climbing up the stairs and walking.
Balance exercises may also treat other conditions, including stroke. It can be a good way to prevent falls as well. Here are the top 6 balance exercises you can do to improve your balance:
One lesser-known fact about your legs is that one is more coordinated and stronger than the other. This is why it is recommended that you try one-legged balance exercises to improve your balance. Here are the activities you can do to perform this exercise:
The running man
This type of workout does not only hone your balance but also strengthen your glutes and improve your motion, especially in your hips. The following are the step-by-step ways to do this routine:
- Lift the right leg until your thigh parallels to the floor. This position will immediately make you stand on one leg.
- Bend your arms during this position. Make sure that your right arm is in front of your torso while the other arm is behind.
- Extend the right leg from your back, making your torso lean forward. Extend your right and left arm as well, in the same position as you were before.
- Do step one again but this time, the left hand is in front of you while the right is behind.
The Planted Step-Up
This routine focuses on pedal-pushing muscles. It is also good for stabilizing your lower body. To do this activity, follow these:
- Before you start this workout, you need to have a dumbbell in each hand and a bench.
- Step on the bench with one leg.
- When you are on top, you need to contract your glutens then stretch your left leg.
- In the same position, move your leg back down and start lowering your body until your foot reaches the floor.
- Repeat the same procedure but this time, you are going to use your left foot on the bench.
There are other one-legged exercises that you can do such as the one-legged squat and one-legged clock with arms.
This type of balance exercise is best for those who are having a hard time walking or those with past injuries that require the use of the legs. Below are some workouts you can do:
Doing this activity will require you to stand up with knees slightly bent. Then, move your foot sideways. Use one foot at a time. Then bring back your foot one step at a time as well. Repeat this routine for a couple of minutes.
You need to do this work out in front of a staircase. Place one foot on a stair step while holding the rail. By doing this, you need to make sure that you are standing upright. Lean forward again then lower down your body. Once you are done, return to your starting to your starting position.
Another way to improve your balance is through weight shifts. This can strengthen your muscles and improve your coordination. There are two ways you can do this type of routine: forward steps and sideways.
To do this, you need to stand properly with your feet together. Then, take a big leap forward using your right foot. Take the needed steps for you to go back to your original position. Do this at least eight to ten times.
You can do this technique while standing or sitting. First, move your feet apart. Lean your body slowly to the right while making sure that your feet are still in contact with the floor. Afterward, do this on the other side. Make sure you do this up to 15 times.
As mentioned, squats can help you improve your balance. One way you can do squats is through a sumo squat that can have an impact on your outer thigh. Here are the steps you need to follow to do this routine:
- Make sure that your feet are wide apart.
- Slowly bend your hips and knees until you get to the sumo squat position. Make sure that your torso is uptight.
- When you stand, be sure that you stretch one leg to the opposite of your arm. Hold your leg up to 3 inches for a couple of times.
- Switch your position and repeat up to 12 times.
Tai Chi is a popular Chinese exercise that embraces your mind, body, and spirit. There are a lot of forms of tai chi but the main ones are Yang, Wu, Chen, Wu, and Sun. This type of exercise controls your breathing and generates internal energy.
Aside from balance, tai chi can also improve flexibility, fitness, and muscular strength. If you are interested in trying this exercise, you can go to fitness centers or even follow those from youtube videos. Just make sure that what you are watching is tai chi done by professionals.
One of the most popular balance exercises is the dead bug. Its core function is to improve your stabilization.
- Sit down on the center of a Bosu. Place your feet on the floor.
- Slowly lay down until you feel the Bosu on your back.
- Next, pull the abdominals and reach your arms wide.
- Then lift your leg at a time and keep them wide.
- Try to hold this position as long as you can then slowly push your body back to your original position.
There are more exercises to improve your balance. But for the meantime, you can try doing these and see the effect in your body. If you have other conditions that may have an effect while doing the routines, consult your doctor first.