You have probably caught sight of a curious-looking fitness device that looks like half of a regular exercise ball in the gym. That would be a BOSU ball. Don’t let its appearance deceive you. Weird as it may look, it provides a lot of benefits if you just know how to use it. Here are some things you should know when exercising with a BOSU ball
What it is
To appreciate exercising with a BOSU ball, it is essential to understand what it is first. BOSU is actually an acronym for Both Sides Up. Some quarters would call it Both Sides Used or Both Sides Utilized but it is most popular as the first. The BOSU ball was first invented in 1999 by fitness expert and trainer for elite athletes, David Weck. It became so popular that it spawned a whole line of BOSU fitness products which became and continue to become a staple fitness device for any training regimen.
If you are still in the dark about how a BOSU ball like, just imagine a regular exercise ball cut in half. It maintains its rubber bouncy top and flat bottom. When exercising with a BOSU ball, you will discover a set of exercises that are meant for the bouncy top and another for the flat bottom. Understanding which goes where will allow you to maximize the benefits you can get from exercising with a BOSU ball.
While the BOSU ball provides many benefits, its main goals are to develop balance and stability and to strengthen your core. Such advantages will give anyone added motivation to give exercising with a BOSU ball a serious second look.
Given the many benefits exercising with a BOSU ball has to offer, it does not come as a surprise that more and more people are willing to give it a try. Here are some of the things you can most likely enjoy if you learn to use a BOSU ball as part of your workout program:
- An effective device for rehabilitation. Due to its wobbly nature, it eases joints and lessens the pressure on the rest of the leg. We are talking about knees, feet, legs, ankles, even shins. For as long as you do the exercises right, you can ease your leg towards recovery while improving both strength and balance.
- Very versatile. Another benefit of the BOSU ball is that it is very versatile. You can do a plethora of things when exercising with a BOSU ball. You can do regular exercises such as push-ups, step-ups, and sit-ups. You can also incorporate some yoga moves in there. Full planks and side planks can be done using the BOSU ball. You can even have a little fun by jumping on it like you would a trampoline. You can definitely do so many things with a BOSU ball because of its versatility.
- A valuable aid in strength training. Strength training is yet another advantage you can get by exercising with a BOSU ball. With it, you can do crunches, reps using barbell, lunges, squats, pushups, and planks. Through the use of a BOSU ball, you can definitely boost strength, flexibility, and stamina.
- Activate core muscles. Research has shown that doing bench press using a BOSU ball is effective at core development.
- Stretches muscles. The BOSU ball provides opportunities for training that would stretch muscles for future physical activity.
One of the main things that you get from exercising with a BOSU ball is balance. Balance is very essential. Here are some reasons why we should improve balance through BOSU training:
- Core strength. As you build up balance while using the BOSU ball, you also build up your core strength. Your core muscles are your center. They are the source of your strength to maintain your balance. An activated core can enhance physical activity as well as improve posture and flexibility.
- Posture. As mentioned earlier, improving your balance will help you attain better posture. To stay balanced means to maintain the ideal position of the body so you will have to train your body to do so.
- Recovery. Balance is important post-injury or post-surgery. You can definitely build this up by exercising with a BOSU ball. To be on the safe side, consult your physician regarding your BOSU ball use plans before actually doing it.
- Coordination. You do a lot of things simultaneously when you do balance-enhancing exercises with the the BOSU ball. This will help you attain better mobility while remaining coordinated. This will definitely sharpen your reflexes as well as your responses.
- Mobility. As we grow older, balance slowly becomes a concern. This, in turn, will affect our mobility. We can improve this aspect and gracefully age by doing exercises focused on balance. A BOSU ball, then, will definitely be a helpful fitness device to achieve just that.
Just because exercising with a BOSU ball provides a lot of benefits does not mean that you should not be careful when you use it. Remember, the logic of the BOSU ball is to make every rep challenging because of its unstable nature. Stepping onto an unstable surface definitely increases risk of injury so make sure you are aware about your skill in using the BOSU ball so that you will only do more complicated exercises when you are actually ready for it. The best thing to here is to ask for assistance for a trainer especially when you are starting out. This way, you would know what to do and what not to do when you use a BOSU ball.
Exercising with a BOSU ball offers numerous advantages especially if you want to achieve balance, better mobility, and a well-toned body. To maximize all these benefits, you’ve got to do the exercises right. Make sure you get the help that you need so you won’t be wasting your time as you use a BOSU ball to achieve your fitness goals.